Home Augmented Reality Trends and Costs AR in Libraries Implications for Dewey Recommendations Responsibilities Meeting Logs Presentation

Trends and Costs

AR characteristics

The emergence of Augmented Reality (AR) technology has been most remarkable in video games and infotainment-based demonstrations of concept - Pokemon Go being the most widely recognised example. Commercial usages of AR based mobile applications is on the rise for enhancing user experience while adding value to businesses and their products. Given its tremendous potential, it is now possible to build AR powered indoor navigation systems through these intuitive and interactive digital mapping solutions.[1]

The wayfinding indoor mapping platform can be integrated to any existing Android or iOS mobile app. For a related search query about a location, the wayfinding app will show the route to destination along with other details, like distance and direction, with AR mapping experience on mobile camera screens using ARKit.[1]

The basic features with which any AR wayfinding app for indoor navigation can be built include: Positioning, Mapping, Routing, Analytics and Admin capabilities. There can be a lot of features that will be used by the end users.[1]

AR in other contexts

The wayfinding app can be used in a number of industries and specific domains where route tracking and navigation must be precise and interactive. An unparalleled, inclusive and consistent navigation experience while exploring or searching something is what multiple business domains are focusing on right now. Integration of AR with mobile development and other technologies can provide highly informative, robust, user-friendly and scalable navigation systems for wayfinding.[1]

The AR wayfinding app can be used for many different business applications like Architecture for smart building navigation, maintenance and security. Hotels and Resorts to enhance guest experience. Universities to enhance staff and student experience as well as campus navigation. Transportation like airports and railway stations, plus smart route navigation on roads. Museums and Galleries for events and exhibitions. Offices and Corporate Conferences to increase efficiency.

The resource team needed to develop an AR based wayfinding system will comprise of an expert AR team to develop a custom AR wayfinding app. For corporate businesses, the AR based indoor navigation mobile app solution will be a great tool to enhance productivity and working experience of employees. It can even be taken to the next level by implementing analytics tools to study behaviour using system data.[1]

Budgeting costs

A $200,000 grant has been given to the Dewey Library to cater for this project.

The total cost to build a mobile AR wayfinding app for indoor navigation would be in the range of $17-22K.[1]So this would definitely fit into the $200K budget. But a salary should be included to hire an AR expert for future maintenance, support and training of current employees so this would be around $143K for the year.[2]

This is assuming everyone has access to a smartphone but according to a recent survey done just over three quarters (76%) of people in advanced economies own smartphones.[3] So the other quarter (24%) of people would need to borrow a portable device in order to use this software so the remaining $35-40K could be used to stock up on more devices. As well as cater for promotion and contingencies.

A unique selling point (USP) of the AR Wayfinding App for Indoor Navigation is that it can be a blessing for those who are visually impaired. Through AR-based, text-to-voice sign reading assistants it allows them to navigate independently using their mobile phones.[1]

“By 2022, 25% of uses of a navigation application will include an indoor element as these systems become widely available and consumers get used to their benefits” – Deloitte[4]


1. Desai, A (2018) How to build Navigation app using Augmented Reality (AR)?, December 27 Ahmedabad, India: Lets Nurture.

2. ibid.

3. ibid.

4. ibid.

5. ibid.

6. ibid.

7. Gajsek, D (2020) 10 In-Demand AR and VR Jobs: Skill Requirements, Pay Scale, and Demand Trends, https://circuitstream.com/blog/xr-jobs-in-demand/ Accessed 23 May 2020

8. Pew Research Center, February 2019, “Smartphone Ownership Is Growing Rapidly Around the World, but Not Always Equally”

9. Desai (2018) op. cit.

10. Elementary Digital (2020) How Accessible Audio Navigation Works,https://www.wayfindr.net/how-audio-navigation-works Accessed 23 May 2020.